Eye on Monday: Sneak-a-Peek Cell Phone Technique (video)

I was speaking with a friend the other day about people and their cell phones. Namely, how folks can be in mid-sentence with you, stop abruptly, check their cell for a new text message and then continue talking as if nothing happened. Or, worse, they’ll actually interrupt you to read a text, then send a reply text.  Makes no difference if you’re at the mall, at dinner, in a meeting, in a classroom, with friends or with family members.  Today’s priorities seem to be Text Messaging, first . . . everything else secondary.

Blog Harbor is Here to Help

I believe the time has come to illustrate the correct and incorrect ways of sneaking a peek at your cell phone for an incoming text message.  My hope is that this may allow your wanton disregard of the person holding a meeting or an individual you’re actually speaking with to be more seamless.  And please:  Do not try these without proper supervision.

Filed Under: humorLifeMediaMinneapolisMinnesotaSocietyvideo

Tags:

1. Paul Hassing says:

Priceless! I love these windows to another world. Is it always so halcyon in your lovely home? 🙂

Halcyon? Why…..of course it is, Paul.

Now if would you excuse me, a pig with a large beak just flew into our front door. 🙂

*clap clap clap* Well demonstrated! Love the “slow motion” shot. You’re right, though. I hate when people stop in the middle of a meeting or conversation to check an incoming text message. Drives me crazy. I will point them in the way of this blog going forward.

4. Oh for cute! (I think that is the proper MN term of endearment) This was a very enlightening video, and I’ll keep it in mind the next time I get a call.

Take care Christopher,
    Martha
    p.s. your babies are beautiful! Pretty interesting your daughter already has a phone…my 16 year old is glued to hers.

5. de-I says:

Yes the slo mo – great. How about super slo mo though to really kick it up a notch.

Uh just a thought, looking at your co-workers there in your meeting. A bit on the young side aren’t they? Seems like this Blog Harbor outfit might need a bit of HR consulting on the child labor laws? Though I must say they seemed more intent on the meeting than most of the adults I deal with.

de-I… In the troubling economic dark cloud we presently find ourselves in, Blog Harbor had to look in a different direction for staffing. We spoke with a few local officials and they explained as long as we adhere to the little-known *SNP code, the young ladies could work for us.

*SNP = Snack-Nap-Play code, placed into Minnesota law in 1952

7. Jules says:

why the left thigh and not the right?

Very good, Jules – I am pleased to see you were paying attention and, clearly, taking notes.

You may use the right thigh if you’re left-handed. It’s all about ease of movement and making sure the cell doesn’t slip off the leg. The chances of this happening – it you’re right-handed and it’s on your right leg, and vice-versa – go up by 37%.

Now, in your job you’ll need to come up with a different technique since, if I’m not mistaken, you’re on your feet a lot at the hotel. I would be happy to forward along some notes that will go a long way towards making your ability to receive a text message both fluid and enjoyable without attracting attention to yourself. Blog Harbor is here to help, Jules. 🙂

9. Jules says:

Haha.Thanks for the follow up. If I do look at my phone at the front desk (normally I take it in the back, or do it on my break if I actually do use my phone) I pull out a drawer and lower it in there to text. That way it’s out of the view of guests, but I can still use my peripherals to see if someone is coming up to the desk so I can still greet them in a timely manner. =)

Oh gosh! My eyes have just been opened to the fact that I am RUDE! I am guilty of peeking at my text messages while a coworker is standing at my desk talking with me. I need to cease and desist immediately. This is probably for the best. My text messages are usually from my kids anyway and serve only to inform me of things such as, “I just threw up a little.”

In the future, if I NEED to read my text message while in the midst of conversation, I shall employ the Gabriel technique.

BTW, LOVE your new oversized, multi-colored cell phone. It’s SO you.

Terri, I’m trying to go retro – the Army-sized, field-phone cell phone. I believe big is back…and multi-colored represents me better.

12. de-I says:

Leaping Lizards – the T Lurker here too!